Sunday, April 7, 2013

Mom's Moment


April 7, 2013 – Yesterday, a woman gave the closing prayer in the morning session of General Conference. It reminded of one Father’s Day while I was in elementary school or junior high, Mom got to say the prayer in Sunday School opening exercises. Mom was quite honored to do this. She said that because all the fathers were in Junior Sunday School for a Father’s Day program, there were no men to say the prayer, so she was asked. I don’t know if I have heard Mom pray in Sacrament Meeting because for more than half my life, we have attended different wards. She did hear Steven and I pray in the Paul 2nd Ward as visiting adults. When people made a big deal about Jean A. Stevens being the first women to pray in a LDS General Conference, I thought of how proud Mom was to say the prayer in Sunday School those many years ago. It was a special moment for her. I don’t know if she was the first woman to pray in a general meeting I the Paul 2nd Ward, but it meant a lot to her to pray in meeting where men and women met together.

1 comment: