Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Why Idaho Magic

Another blog? Why? I'm already posting memories and stories on my own blog - Life On a Single Road (http://idahoinutah.blogspot.com). This one is for my nieces and nephews to read while I put together a book for them to keep and cherish. Shortly after Mom passed on, I realized that the majority of my nephews never knew Dad. Dad passed on when Michael Douglas was six months old. I was like them; I never knew Grandpa (Lafayette) Jackson. He died of cancer when Dad was three years old. I never asked for stories from Dad's siblings while they were alive and I regret that.  So I asked my siblings for memories of our parents that I could share with my nephews and nieces. My goal was to give them a book of memories for a Christmas present. But it didn't happen. I got caught up in taking care of Mom's estate and time slipped away. So instead I gave my siblings a small book of my parents life stories that were written in their own words. Hopefully they will be able to share with their children this Christmas season. Since I knew the memory book would not be ready, I decided to create another blog. Then my nephews and nieces would have something to read while they wait for publication of their own book of memories. It is my hope that to them, Hyrum Lafayette  Jackson will be more than just a name on the pedigree chart.

1 comment:

  1. You are probably asking why it is titled Idaho Magic.  Your grandparents settled in the Magic Valley of Southern Idaho. I considered other titles like "Out of Colorado" because they both grew up in the San Luis Valley in Southern Colorado. But I needed Idaho or the Magic Valley to be apart of the title because that is where they spent most of their time raising their seven children. So after toying with a few titles, "Idaho Magic" seemed to be the one that made most sense.
    When John and I were in Rupert, Idaho recently, we stopped by the Square. There was a display that mentioned that the area had blossomed like a rose, especially after homesteaders began farming the area in 1950's. Your grandparents homesteaded in1957 and helped make the area The Magic Valley.

    ReplyDelete